Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Brain


The last few months have been interesting to say the least. I haven't been able to ride as much as I've wanted to because of a distraction. After hearing tests, a CT, an MRI and consultations with a surgeon, I've been diagnosed with a meningioma brain tumor. It is a benign tumor and my surgery to get it removed is Sept. 1. Even though there are quite a bit of unpleasant scenarios that can happen if all doesn't go well during the surgery, I feel very positive that it will be a success. I have a lot of confidence in my surgeon and am very lucky that I live so close to The Ohio State Medical Center. I also feel fortunate that my symptoms aren't as extreme as so many others with this diagnosis. I noticed a loss of hearing in one ear and after testing they found the tumor. I also have some dizziness and blurred vision when reading smaller print.

So it looks like I will have a lot of time in Sept. for blog entries. The surgeon says I will need to stay home from work 4-5 weeks. I already have books on cd reserved at the library. I guess I can also catch up on some bad afternoon tv.

My family and friends have been very supportive and I love and appreciate them dearly. I'm including a picture from the MRI. This shot is taken from the perspective of looking up from my chin. I've tried to draw around the tumor. When I see the surgeon next I hope to remember to ask him if I can have a picture of the tumor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a pretty neat picture to have, despite the circumstances!

We love you and will be with you every step of the way!

Oh but we don't want to see the other picture you mentioned!